Today is the day we thank our U.S. Military active duty, reserve, retired, and discharged veterans (as opposed to Memorial Day, where we honor those that gave their life for our great country. While thanking a Veteran or liking our Facebook posts (where most of us change our profile picture to some age-old pic of us in uniform (I played), here is a way to show your appreciation in-person today here in Charlottesville, VA — as well as a partial list of organizations going the extra mile to thank Veterans. (Please add more in the comments section if you know about them!)
10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the downtown Charlottesville’s nTelos Wireless Pavilion, music by the Charlottesville High School band and comments by Brig. Gen. Charles N. Pede.
2:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. – head to Post 74 at 3025 Louisa Road in Keswick for remarks by U.S. Sen. Mark R. Warner, D-Va., and a pinning ceremony of World War II veterans.
From 11am to 5pm, head to James Monroe’s Home–Ashlawn-Highland–to celebrate Veterans Day (Free for veterans/ regular admission is $14, or $8 for residents of Charlottesville and surrounding counties).
- 11 a.m., the University of Virginia Army ROTC Cadets and the Buford Middle School band/ remarks from U.S. Congressman Robert Hurt and Vietnam veteran Dr. Heyward Macdonald.
- 1 p.m./3 p.m. – Colonel Monroe in performance recounting the American Revolution.
- 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. – Living timeline of veterans from the Revolutionary War through Operation Desert Storm / Two World War II Jeeps will also be on display.
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Commemorate the African-American military experience and see panels with Gulf War and Vietnam-era veterans.
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Vietnam War Foundation Museum, 6265 Spring Hill Road in Ruckersville. (434) 985-8408.
- Free first beer at the Veteran-owned C’ville-ian Brewing Company (map)
- Free admission to Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson
- Free admission to Montpelier (and 10% off at museum store), the home of James Madison
- $4 off food and complimentary tours for veterans at Michie Tavern
- 15% off at Boylan Heights (map)
- 10% off at the BBQ Exchange (map)
- Buy one taco get one free at Brazos Tacos (map)
- A free Tavern Share item at World of Beer (map)
- Complimentary meal at Applebee’s from their Veteran’s Day menu (29 North | Pantops)
- Complimentary meal at Chili’s from their Veteran’s Day menu (map)
- Free blooming onion from the Outback Steakhouse Restaurant (map)
- Free appetizer or dessert from Red Lobster (map)
- Free Slurpee from 7-Eleven through 7:00 p.m.
- Free lunch from TGI Friday’s (11am – 2pm) (map)
- To the University of Virginia for their 24-hour vigil honoring Veterans.
- To Charlottesville – Albemarle Airport for the below tweet!
For more Veteran’s Day coverage or stories:
- #VetsRising – IAVA | Twitter
- Cville weekly – Collective memories: A local nonprofit records area soldiers’ stories of World War II
- UVA – Distinguished Service – As America celebrates Veterans Day, here are the stories of a half-dozen veterans making an impact at the University of Virginia.